After Ford, Iacocca went on to head Chrysler, turning that also-ran automaker into a profit-making success. He has a new book, Where Have All The Leaders Gone?. In it he lists the 9 Cs of leadership, and as reproduced in the Hindustan Times (today Apr 25), they are:
- 1. Curiosity: Listen to people outside the "Yes, sir" crowd. Read voraciously.
2. Creative: Go out on a limb. Leadership is all about managing change.
3. Communicate: A simple one. You should be talking to everybody, even your enemies.
4. Character: Having the guts to do the right thing. If you don't make it on character, the rest won't amount to much.
5. Courage: Courage in the 21st Century doesn't mean posturing and bravado. Courage is a commitment to sit down at the negotiation table and talk.
6. Conviction: Fire in your belly. You've got to really want to get something done.
7. Charisma: The ability to inspire. People follow a leader because they trust him or her.
8. Competent: Surround yourself with people who know what they're doing. Be a problem solver.
9. Common sense: Your ability to reason.
- The biggest C is Crisis. Leadership is forged in times of crisis. It's easy to sit there with your feet up on the desk and talk theory, or send someone else's kids off to war when you've never seen a battlefield yourself.
Whether it is our border or reservations or something else: How many of us can find that courage that isn't posturing and bravado?
Sorry to hijack your blog Dilip. But I am so disappointed in our media and our countrymen, this is the only i can get my word out. I hope you will understand.
I was part of the team which organised the AIDS Awareness event for truckers at Delhi on April 15. Lot of effort had gone into putting the show together and the celebrities who were part of the event were wholeheartedly sold to the cause and were right on target with the messaging .
Sunny Deol's connect with the Punjabi audience was amazing. Richard Gere's effort to speak Punjabi was commendable too. Richard was instrumental in roping in Shilpa Shetty and Sunny Deol as co chairperson of Heroes Project.
Its really sad the 'ever vigilant' media who were invited and specially catered to chose to completely ignore the good work that went in there . The eagerness to create sensationalism shows Indian media in a very sad light.
The links below give access to videos of Sunny Deol and Richard Gere just to highlight that something sensible also happened that night.
Sunny Deol - Full Video:
Post a Comment