A recent bit of email has me feeling privileged and delighted. That's because it is an invitation to an upcoming conference. And it has these excellent features.
* It contains the acronyms IPR, R&D, HRM, CEO, NKC, ICT, OM and possibly a few more I missed, of which I know the full forms of just three.
* It informs me that the organizers are "happy" that they have got, as an "active partner", a company or organization or something that I have never heard of.
* It "solicits my suggestions" to make the conference a "purposeful event", even though I am hard pressed to come up with any suggestions apart from "you probably don't want me there".
* It "expects my presence" on all three days of the conference.
* It asks me to "take active part" in the conference "by paying an appropriate registration fee."
* It invites me "as a respected Technology Management professional worldwide", which I didn't know I was. In fact I suspect they don't know either that I am that respected TMpw, because the letter is addressed to "Dear Sir/Madam".