* Fatma, 45, ran to the hills without footwear and hid there for three days without food and water. This is because mobs burned her house in Randikpur.
* After telling me this, Fatma is quiet, then says out of the blue: "It's a Rs 14 ticket from here [Godhra] to Randikpur."
* Yakub whom I met in a camp says: "We can't go back because they have destroyed our homes and turned the area into a maidan."
* Young girl says, the sarpanch hid us in a field, telling us we'd be protected. Then he went away. When he came back, he brought many people with him to kill us.
* The same girl saw a friend standing in front of her home, saying "My father will definitely come to save us!" Then she was cut down by a mob.
* She starts crying quietly as she tells me of that brief incident, and then she tells me three of her uncles were also killed.
* 22 yr-old Fatma (another Fatma) hid in the fields too. A mob came -- "there were ten people for each one of us" -- to kill them. She was hit by a lathi and a sword, she fell unconscious, they left.
* In Godhra camp alone, at least three different women told me about sarpanches who directed them to fields and then called a mob to attack them.
* Zohra, 23, hid with her husband in a cornfield. A mob set fire to the crop. They got up and ran. The mob caught her husband and killed him. She saw it happen.
* Bilkis of Randikpur had a three year-old child who was "cut and thrown away". Then twelve men raped her. She is pregnant.
* I should point out that I learned about Bilkis from her bua who was with her in camp. Bilkis herself was unable to speak.