Meanwhile, from a recent desultory conversation, here is a list of situations, in no particular order. Not even alphabetic.
- 1) Man pays cop a bribe to get off red light fine.
2) Man buys tickets of hit film and resells (i.e. "in black") to eager movie buffs.
3) During a bus strike, rickshaw and taxi drivers raise their prices.
4) By paying more, you move to the head of a queue of devotees waiting to pay their respects at a popular religious spot.
5) Bad crop of mangoes; vendors raise their prices.
6) During a major sporting event, hotel owners in the city concerned raise their prices.
7) Employee at stockbroking firm makes money selling "insider" tips to interested investors.
8) Stockmarket journalist makes money publishing weekly newsletter in which he prints "insider" tips.
9) Ticket collector on train takes money to allot berths to travellers.
10) By paying more, you move to the head of a queue of patients waiting to see a doctor. [Forgot to include this one when I first put this post up].